Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Pink Sainfoin in July Saskatchewan Ditches

Sainfoin. Copyright © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved
Pink Sainfoin  ©SB
A friend told me he'd seen pink flowers in the grid road ditch as he cycled by.

"Sainfoin," I guessed, remembering that stretch from my daily walk last summer. And I was right...

(But I may not have said this plant's name right, as I'm never sure in Saskatchewan how to pronounce Anglicized French words...)

Sanfoin is a forage crop from Europe that's gone wild and now brightens uncultivated fields and road allowances with its pin-striped red and pink flowers.

It's become a wildflower in the Prairies, though Sanfoin is not a native plant.

Sainfoin. Copyright © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved
Pink blossoms on stalk of Sainfoin ©SB


Prairie Wildflower: Sainfoin  
Location: Grid road south of Muenster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Photo Dates: July 7, 2015 and July 21, 2014

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...