Friday, May 20, 2016

Purple Milkvetch: Tiny purple-blue pea-like flowers

Purple Milkvetch. Copyright © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved.
Close-up of Purple Milkvetch.  © SB

Purple milkvetch is a widely distributed North American wildflower that under the right (or perhaps, wrong) conditions might be seen as a ground cover or a weed. But how pretty its new spring flowers are!

I found a patch growing in Wascana Park recently, one of the first spring flowers I've seen locally this year. (And no, I have not been out much, or yes, I know I'd see more...)

Most of the Purple Milkvetch plants in this patch were tufted and all were low-growing. I am so glad I got there before the mowers arrived!

Purple Milkvetch. Copyright © Shelley Banks, all rights reserved.
A small tufted plant of Purple Milkvetch. © SB

Prairie Wildflower: Purple Milkvetch
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan. 
Photo Date: May 19, 2016

~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...